March 20, 2013

You Aren't What You Eat

Yeah yeah you've all heard it more than a million times right? I was reading a friend's post on Facebook the other night ranting about the barrage of post in her feed about healthy lifestyles, the bragging about "my eating habits are better than yours", I exercise so I am a god, etc etc. I guess I am the type of person that if I am passionate about something I want to share, not in an I'm better than you way but in a give it a try IF you're interested and I want you to be the best you and happy and healthy and all that jazz kind of way. It's everyone's privilege to rant on Facebook just as it's everyone's privilege to gloat, boast, share, and discover on Facebook. I tend to just ignore those that I think are dopes and keep on scrolling past whatever self-invovled, snotty, political, religious, or other drivel they are pedaling for the day, keeps me less stressed and overall more happy with my life choices. If I just can't take your nonsense anymore well there's always the "unfriending" option. Alright I didn't intend this to be a Facebook etiquette commentary.

So as the title of this post states you aren't what you eat! Exactly, as I dive further into the world of Wildtree products I learn more everyday just how F*ed up our food supply has become. I get it that it's partially due to the explosion of the human population yada yada that we "need" all of these foods to be highly processed and filled with chemicals to maintain an average shelf life of say 5 years in order for the big corporate giants to reduce waste and increase profits. Sarcasm, yeah you got it. Don't get me wrong I am by no means on some high horse shopping at the local coop 5 times a week buying organic dandelion greens and free range, hand fed, hugged daily chickens as a staple of my household. The fact of the matter is the arrangement my other half and I have is that I cover the groceries for six people, handle the meal planing and cooking, and a few other household expenses and my regular expenses in exchange for his contribution to the majority of the other bills like the mortgage and utilities etc. This usually works but truth be told 100% organic probably isn't an option if I want to continue to make my car payment every month!

OK after that rant here's the point, if I can make small changes in my household and take some control over my health and the health of my family I will. I try to buy meats that offer anti-biotic and hormone free grown options, not use crazy cleaning chemicals in the house when possible, AND pay closer attention to all those extra little pharmaceutical sounding ingredients in the everyday foods I use. Before I was introduced to Wildtree I paid a little attention but really never did much investigating. Come to find out even products like that little packet of taco seasoning most of us grew up with on taco Tuesdays contains a common ingredient found in pesticides and pet food that is known to cause health issues in animals and is toxic to fish! So why in the HELL would I want to put this in my body? See below.
Call me crazy, call me a food snob, call me a big ole B if you want but the way I see it if I can take some responsibility for my health, hopefully avoid a family history of breast cancer, teach my children the value of making good choices, and maybe not treat the health care system as the band aide it is then well ultimately I feel better about myself. If I can help someone else make a better choice, learn something new, be available for support, and help them realize the government and health care system as they are now are not our friends when it comes to making healthy choices then I feel great about myself.

So sorry for the annoyance of clogging up your Facebook feed in advance! I'm just really excited. www.wildtree.com/serenar/

Cheers to good choices,

Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment