March 27, 2013

Brain Power

Do any of you remember the "old" public television ads, "the more you know"? As a kid I just thought it was a catchy little phrase and as an adult I think yep 'tis true. So I'm on this journey in life to be a better me or at the very least a good me and hopefully help a few people be gooder thems too. (No I'm not illiterate it's just funny to use poor language sometimes.) Part of this journey is my love for food and being a know it all wanting to learn more and more about how food works and doesn't work with our bodies. Many of us could give two shakes about where are food comes from or what the lives of those who produce it are like. It's human nature to tune out the world that isn't in front of our face.
I do find fads and new miracle products rather interesting though and always like to do a little investigating to see how long something has been popular, if it was popular in another country before it was popular here, weigh the health benefits and risks, and learn about where it comes from. One example is the coconut oil craze. I admit I have some in my kitchen. I used it once in a vegan recipe when a dear vegan friend came to stay with me for a short visit. I vaguely knew that coconut oil wasn't the healthy miracle oil that it was being touted to be. It wasn't until I got involved with Wildtree that I learned how truly unhealthy coconut oil is! Making small changes in your kitchen is one step to a healthier family. Don't fall for the fads and do a little research before you invest. There just might some big corporate giant behind the news flash of "healthy" benefits their product offers. As you can see by the diagram below coconut oil is higher in saturated fat (the artery blocker) than any other oil!

And you are probably saying but BY GOD grapeseed oil is sooo high in poly unsaturated fat. Here's a great link for a quick education on how fats work to help and hurt our bodies http://www.nutristrategy.com/nutrition/fat.htm:
Saturated Fat:

• Function: tends to increase blood cholesterol levels.
• Sources: found mostly in meat and dairy products, as well as some vegetable oils, such as coconut and palm oils (tropical oils). Butter is high in saturated fat, while margarine tends to have more unsaturated fat. Most saturated fats tend to be solid at room temperature, with the exception of tropical oils.

Polyunsaturated Fat:

• Function: tends to lower blood cholesterol levels
• Sources: found mostly in plant sources. (safflower, sunflower, soybean, corn, cottonseed)

Monounsaturated Fat:

• Function: tends to lower LDL cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol)
• Sources: found in both plant and animal products, such as olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, and in some plant foods such as avocado

As you probably know by some of my other posts I feel that our health is one of the few things we can try to maintain some control over in our lives. No my health insurance isn't really any cheaper if I stay healthy BUT in the long run if we all adopt a semi-healthy and semi-responsible attitude about our health maybe just maybe something in this country will change. This is the first generation of kids to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. Adults are not faring any better… 90% of Americans have one or more of the following: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, or are overweight – 90%! Why? The biggest reason is the food we eat. Virtually everything in the grocery store is full of sugars, hydrogenated oils, super high levels of sodium, preservatives, chemicals and dyes. If you do a google search, you’ll find dozens of studies that clearly show these foods are the biggest cause of our health problems.
With a few easy tricks, you can resolve to cook and eat healthier in 2013:
  1. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Fresh produce, dairy and meats are found in the outside aisles. These items are less expensive than the processed, pre-packaged foods plus they are all natural and don’t contain added sugars and hydrogenated fats. Most Americans then shop the center of the grocery store for mixes and ingredients. Instead, I get these things from Wildtree. Wildtree is an all-natural, organic food company that offers everything from appetizers to desserts and everything in between. Wildtree® products have no MSGs, no preservatives, no chemicals, no dyes and are nut free with low-to no levels of sodium and sugar Wildtree also offers Gluten Free products.
  2. Use Grapeseed Oil, the “Miracle Frying Oil.” While grapeseed oil is healthy, I love its cooking properties. The flash point is 420°, so you won’t burn the oil. And the infusions are fabulous! Pop popcorn in the butter oil. Sauté veggies in the garlic oil. Brush meats with the hickory oil before grilling. Use the basil pesto oil on pasta salad or drizzle it on steamed veggies. These oils are the biggest reason why my food tastes good.
  3. Plan your meals in advance. According to Consumer Reports, Americans who don’t menu plan throw away $20 for every $100 spent by buying things that go unused. Who wants to take $20 out of their wallet and throw it directly in the waste can? That’s why I menu plan with Freezer Meals! This saves me time and money, plus gives me a peace of mind knowing that I have a healthy and delicious meal ready for my family.
Freezer Meals
There are more than 90 Wildtree Freezer Meal Recipes, so I shop in bulk or buy protein when it’s on sale. Then I prep all my meals at one time and freeze them until I need them. You can even host a “freezing party,” so you and your friends go home with 10 meals (4-6 adult portions) or 20 meals (for smaller families) that are freezer-ready. It’s fast, fun and social!
For more information on prepping healthy meals, feel free to contact me at:

Serena
www.mywildtree.com/serenar/

No comments:

Post a Comment