January 26, 2012

Potatoe Salad - Yes with an "e"

(From left to right circa 1979. Me, My Mom, Grandma Tippy, Great-Grandma Melba.)

Nothing better than potato"e" salad done right. My Mother recently shared with me many of the recipes she has held dear for many years in her blue gingham binder. These recipes are a collection of her favorites passed down from my Grandma Tippy, my Great-Grandma Melba, and various other aunts, PTA meetings, magazines, and newspaper clippings. I was startled at first when my inbox was suddenly full of time treasured, memory making, childhood favorites. My first thought was, "Oh my God Mom's gonna kick the bucket!" Then after politely prodding my Mother as to the intentions of passing on this treasure trove of knowledge and receiving a simple, "I just thought you'd like them", I thought I would share them and all of their simpleness, goodness (misspellings and all), and of course tastiness with the world.

Now potato"e" salad isn't just potato"e" salad in the world of a second generation rural immigrant German and Irish farming family like my Grandfather Ralph Cludy and my Grandmother Melba Cludy "nee Binder". Nope there's a lot of unspoken know-how that goes into preparing those spuds and getting it just right. Somehow these just don't translate on paper and are lost to the whispers of time. All I'm left with is my Mother's beautiful handwriting, a few ingredients, and my imagination.

Potatoe Salad

4-5 hard boiled eggs
potatoes (How many? Your guess is as good as mine.)
onion
celery seed
salt

Mayonnaise - Melba Cludy
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBL flour
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
a little salt

Beat the eggs with a mixer until frothy. Mix together the sugar and flour. Use mixer and beat the whole thing. Bring to a boil and boil a little bit. Beat again. Thin with cream if needed.

Honest that's all I've got folks. I find it humorous in the world over developed and overly specific recipes that this is the ENTIRE potatoe salad recipe and no doubt would have been the best you've probably ever had. I'll give this a whirl someday and post the modern complicated directions below.

No comments:

Post a Comment