January 25, 2012

From soup to nuts.

Just like soup from a can life gets a little boring when you don't stir it up once in a while. For as long as I can remember the one thing that I have consistently loved to do, with a passion, has been cooking. I remember coming home from school and diving right into the kitchen to experiment with whatever ingredients we had on hand. Creative genius evolves in the kitchen and makes me feel alive. Sharing my creations with family and friends feeds my deep need to take care of those I love. Food is the one thing that unites us all and universally brings comfort.

I hope to make this a place to share recipes I have dreamt up on my own, modified from other creative geniuses, or have found so simply irresistible they just scream to be shared. Some of these recipes are treasures from my Grandmother's kitchen that hold very fond memories for me. Like many of you I have deep Midwestern rural roots, through my extend family. While many of my Grandmother's recipes are simple in form they are often the greatest comfort food, sometimes simple is best.

Born and raised, myself, in the suburbs of Chicago I grew up with the best of both worlds when it comes to food. My father from an artistic, creative, foodie family and my mother from rural, Burlington Iowa, farming family. With a drive to explore, my Mom, always presented new opportunities to me. We explored every corner of the big city and spent Christmases, summer breaks and other holidays with Grandma in Iowa. It was a great balance and one I strive to share with my own children. Ultimately it lead me to pursue a college in downtown Chicago for design. Funny how life often has other plans for us as my life currently is anything but creative with the exception of my cooking.

Long story short I hope you enjoy, share, and comment on the recipes and other fun finds I post.

Soups on!


Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment