March 18, 2012

Easy Easter Wreath

Spring is in the air, well summer really. Us hearty Minnesotans, yes I am starting to identify more with the folks native to the great white north rather than those of my native Chicago, manage to embrace the outdoors even is subzero temps but when spring arrives we come truly alive. Unusual March temps in the 80's have us all dizzy with spring fever. I also find my need to create is much stronger when the sun shines again, maybe it's the whole rebirth thing that spring brings about. I found myself anxious to take down the Christmas lights and joyfully cleaning out the gutters yesterday. Normally a disgusting task I was just happy to be up on the roof without fear of launching myself 20 feet into the air with a quick misstep onto some ice.
After removing the remnants of Christmas and winter paraphernalia from our house it just looked so sad and naked and colorless. I went digging through my box of seasonal decor and discovered a plethora a pretty plastic Easter eggs. Not having any bushes to decorate or trees with branches low enough to hang them from I thought...hmmm....a wreath. I scoured the town high and low to find a simple wreath form that wouldn't break the bank as it would be covered by pretty plastic eggs. Ah ha, Goodwill. If you haven't already discovered go check out your local Goodwill. I was elated with the wide array of wonderful Easter decorations and once loved floral arrangements and slightly tattered wreaths that were available. I managed to score a sad little grape vine wreath that had obviously seen better days. The clerk agreed $.99 was a fair price and with two bags of lime green plastic Easter grass at $.49 each I was ready to go! 

Here's what you'll need:

1 12" diameter wreath form of some sort
1 bag of plastic Easter grass
An assortment of sizes and colors of plastic Easter eggs
A hot glue gun and glue sticks

First using the hot glue, stick generous amounts of the Easter grass on your wreath form so as to cover it completely. I used one large egg to help mash the grass into the glue so I didn't burn my fingers.
Next glue individual eggs to the form/Easter grass. You'll want to vary the sizes and apply glue to both the side contacting the wreath form and sides adjoining any other eggs.

And voila! You have a pretty, weather proof decoration! This was a fun little craft project and something that should last for quite a long time, unlike the 80 degree weather we are experiencing in March!

1 comment:

  1. nice blog checkout my latest blog on

    http://www.togetherfornature.blogspot.com

    feel free to leave a comment

    ReplyDelete